Having a clear Purpose that is embedded in your organisation plays a critical role in developing a positive culture where people are people are motivated, passionate and focused.
Too many organisations say that they have a Purpose but they do not ‘live and breathe’ it on a daily basis. This is because they don’t understand what Purpose is and confuse it with things like mission and vision. In some cases it is used purely as a PR and/or marketing tool.
These organisations will eventually be found out because their actions simply will not match their words. At best this may cause embarrassment, at worst, it could have a negative impact on the reputation and success of the organisation.
It is for these reasons that we have introduced our PDO Accreditation programme to ensure that organisations who are genuinely Purpose Driven or are working towards it can be recognised.
Recognition for Purpose Driven Organisations
We believe that it is important to recognise those organisations who are genuinely Purpose Driven or are working towards this objective.
Our goal is to provide Purpose Driven Organisations with a way to reassure their stakeholders that it is has a genuine purpose that is embedded in the organisation.
Our PDO Accreditation programme has been designed to rigorously evaluate the extent to which your organisation is Purpose Driven. If the evaluation shows that your organisation meets all of the criteria, you will be awarded our PDO Accreditation which you can promote in all of your communication materials.
In addition to positive impact on your image and reputation to the outside world, it will also have a positive effect on the morale of your people and will act to reinforce the importance of being purpose driven.
Our PDO Accreditation Programme
Our PDO Accreditation programme has been developed to evaluate the extent to which an organisation is Driven by Purpose.
The Evaluation Process
An independent assessor will look at every aspect of the Purpose Driven element of the organisation, both internally and externally. This will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Ensure that the organisation has a clearly defined Purpose that is supported by strong Values.
- Check how the organisation’s Purpose & Values are communicated, both internally and externally. This includes both printed, verbal and electronic communication.
- Check how well the Purpose and Values are known, understood and implemented at all levels of the organisation.
- Understand the culture of the organisation and how well it fits with the Purpose and Values.
- Ensure that leaders how themselves and others accountable for living by the Purpose & Values.
- Ensure that critical processes and procedures are aligned with the Purpose and Values (for example is the recruitment process designed to ensure that the people that are employed fit with the culture).
- Interview a random selection of external stakeholders, including customers/clients, suppliers, shareholders, etc. to determine if they (a) know what the organisations Purpose & Values are and how they live by them.
There are four possible outcomes from the assessment. These are as follows:
- The evaluation process confirms that the organisation meets all of the criteria. In this case it will be awarded the PDO Accreditation.
- The evaluation process confirms that the organisation meets most of the criteria. In this case it may be awarded a provisional PDO Accreditation with a stipulation that certain areas require improvement.
- The evaluation process shows that the organisation meets some of the criteria. In this case it will note be awarded the PDO Accreditation. We will provide a report detailing the areas require improvement. Depending on the severity of the issued that are uncovered, we may award the PDO Accreditation once the issues have been dealt with.
- The evaluation process shows that the organisation meets few, if any of the criteria. In this case it will note be awarded the PDO Accreditation. We will provide a report detailing the areas require improvement. We can agree a timescale to implement our recommendations and re-assess the organisation in the future.